Frequently Asked Questions

Home » Prop 39 » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Last year we were not allowed to use Prop 39 funds for anything but existing programs. Can we fund new offerings in the EE Top codes this year?

A: Yes, you will be allowed to fund new offerings in the EE Top codes this year. Provide some details as to what new EE Top codes you propose fund.

Q: In regards to the Prop 39 budget, if we allocated funds for a college in the region to complete a specific task (such as professional development, for example) and they are no longer interested in working on the project, can we re-allocate the money to another entity (either internal or another college) to complete the task?

A: Yes, you may re-allocate. If the initial allocation/agreement to complete the task included in the RFA, please send an email with the details to Nick Esquivel (request address through the Contact form) for documentation.

Q: The initial allocation for the professional development activities was listed in the budget of our Prop 39 proposal, although there is no supporting documentation such as a letter of support etc. It seems as though some colleges are now overwhelmed and would prefer to not take on the additional work. We can definitely cover the professional development through other entities (either other schools or internally), but I just wanted to make sure we are not tied to the specific entity mentioned in the budget.

A: Yes, you may change entities for the professional development. Similar to re-allocating funds, send an email with details to Nick Esquivel for documentation.

Q: How will the CalJOBs registrations be verified? Will someone on the CalJOBs side be able to pull a list, or will we need to collect verification from each registrant?

A: At this point we do not have the ability to pull specific information from EDD to verify registration. When a student completes the registration, they receive a confirmation email which can then be forwarded to the instructor for documentation in the event of an audit. We are currently working with EDD to create a specific portal at the CalJOBs website to point your student to. If you are already entering students in the system (good!), you will need to create a process in which you document which students did enroll so that we can confirm that at a later date. I would recommend a spreadsheet of some sort with either a pdf or paper printout back up if possible. I’m not sure what the system allows as you complete your entry (as a student/job searcher), but if there is an email confirmation, that should be forwarded to the instructor also.

Q: How will we insure that there are no duplicates between MIS data and 3rd Party Certs? MIS data reports data without individual identifiers.

A: Create a list of students in the class and the requested Program Improvement Award, based on local certificates or 3rd party.

Q: Do we know the award amount that will be allocated to apprenticeship programs?

A: $1,000 per Apprentice completer (Journeyman) is appropriate for a 3-5 year program with significant classroom instruction that would equal 18+ units.

Q: Because of the significance of ICT in smart building systems warrants the inclusion of TOP Code 0934.30, Telecommunications Technology, it should be included.

A: 0934.30 is not included at this time. CCCCO needs to have a deeper understand of the curriculum/instruction that occurs in the course that directly impacts (in a positive manner) Energy Efficiency in the commercial environment. Please send him more details on how much is included in Telecommunications Technology.

Q: As I am conducting an inventory for my reason, I came across some TOP codes which seem like they were missed and other which make sense under the ten of commercial energy efficiency. I have attached them and also listed below. I appreciate any direction you can provide:

Manufacturing and Industrial Technology – 095600 Generally the same program as Industrial Systems Technology and Maintenance- 094500 which is an approved TOP code.

Electro-Mechanical Technology-093500 Industrial Electronics-093420 Both just seem intuitive to me.

Agricultural Power Equipment Technology-011600 Commercial Energy Efficiency for Agriculture

Water and Wastewater Technology-095800 Moving water and purifying water are heavy energy use activities.

A: Click here for a list of eligible TOP Codes. Additional TOP Code requests can be sent to Nick Esquivel, and must include course descriptions in order to be considered. 0116.00 is not included at this time; the others are approved eligible TOP Codes.

Q: Please add the following TOP Codes:

  • 09470-Auto Collision Technology
  • 09480-Automotive Technology
  • 09490-Diesel/Clean Diesel Technology
  • 09565-Welding Technology
  • 01090-Horticulture

A: Click here for a list of eligible TOP Codes. Additional TOP Code requests can be sent to Nick Esquivel, and must include course descriptions in order to be considered.

Welding Technology is an approved TOP Code. The others are not. Prop 39 is about facilities and buildings rather than energy efficient autos.

Q: There are a couple of TOP Codes not on the list. I wonder if you could check on 0952.10 (Construction), 0952.50(Wood Technology), 0956.30 (Industrial Maintenance) as these are coded at Laney College.

A: Click here for a list of eligible TOP Codes. Additional TOP Code requests can be sent to Nick Esquivel, and must include course descriptions in order to be considered.

Based on the explanation provided, Wood Technology does not meet the goal of the RFA but Construction and Industrial Maintenance does.

Q: If students have completed a certificate or degree program and ALSO have completed a third party credential/ have begun an apprenticeship in 2013/2014, can the school be eligible for funding for both of the awards that the student received? Or is there only one award allotted per student?

A: There is only one award allotted per student. The RFA indicates that it will award for “unduplicated students”.

Q: Will mid-year completers (12-31-13) be counted as completers or are we only counting the June 2014 completers for program improvement funding?

A: As long as they are not duplicates in some fashion, they should count as 2013-14 school year completers. From the RFA: “Allocation of program improvement funding will be based upon 2013-14 certificates awarded...”

Q: How will we document Local Certificates?

A: Using your local MIS system and providing documentation upon request to confirm.

Q: It seems as though we will need to come up with a definition of energy efficiency and clean energy so we can gauge whether or not a specific program meets that description. I think it would be wise to come up with a streamlined definition that all Lead Colleges use. Any thoughts on that definition?

A: Energy consumption and clean energy generation occur on the customer or “demand” side of the utility meter - the power meter, gas meter, and water meter. Energy efficiency programs – for purposes of the Prop 39 workforce RFA - reduce demand side energy consumption in commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings. Please see the Definition of the Energy Efficiency Sector.

Q: The RFA provides very limited information about what the program improvement funds can be spent on. Can we discuss? This will be helpful for the application.

A: Professional development for instructors; equipment for Energy Efficiency programs/labs; curriculum development; other expenses which contribute to the knowledge base of students enrolled in Energy Efficiency programs. Contact Nick Esquivel for more clarification.

Q: Most relevant building codes / topics etc. that we need to ensure compliance to through professional development etc.. I have:

  • Title 24
  • Cal Green Code 2013 (2013 building energy efficiency standards)
  • Articulation of K -12 in energy efficiency
  • Pathways development in energy efficiency
  • AB32

A: Professional Development can be many things, as long as it relates to improving the classroom instruction for Title 24 and other Energy Efficiency outcomes in commercial built environment or construction.

Q: What are Lead Colleges designing in terms of the different types of incentivized professional development that they could offer? Here is what I am thinking but I need more ideas...

  • Curriculum templates that faculty could add onto their already prescribed curriculum.
  • Group training for faculty on new codes?

A: Yes, along with capturing any professional development that is created to address these areas and placing it in a shared environment, either on the Prop 39 web page or some other location other than just Drop Box.

Q: Someone mentioned that you have developed or are developing an MOU to use with colleges that will create an invoicing system with participating colleges where you won't have to pester them for details on how they are spending their funds for your reporting. You mentioned you could share this. I would definitely like to know more/see what you've put together. Thanks!

Was it Renah that was saying there are six critical fields which should be collected for tracking purposes? I would really like to know what those six fields are so that I can build them into the data gathering process that the colleges are undertaking.

A: We will gather documents that will assist project directors and colleges and provide access to them on this site shortly.

Q: What are the apprenticeships that are eligible? Can we get a list, much like the 3d party credential list?

A: Electricians, Sheet metal, HVAC, Stationary Engineers, Carpenters. There may be others, send details/requests to Nick Esquivel if questions.

For example:

  • Heat & Frost Insulators & Asbestos Workers (Southern California Heat & Frost Insulators & Allied Workers J.A.C)
  • Heating, Ventilation And Air Conditioning Worker (So. Calif. Chapter Of A.B.C., Inc. Heating, Ventilation & Air Cond. U. A. C)
  • HVACR Service Technician (Los Angeles & Orange Counties Air-Conditioning & Refrigeration J.A.T.C)
  • Insulating Worker (So Cal Insulators & Weatherization JATC)
  • Sheet Metal Worker (South. Calif. Chapter Of Associated Builders And Contractors, Inc. Sheet Metal U. A. C.)
  • Sheet Metal Worker (Southern California Sheet Metal J.A.&T.C)
  • Weatherization Installer & Technician (So Cal Weatherization Installers & Technicians JATC)

Q: I am struggling to differentiate between Title 24 and CalGreen Code. As far as I understand, Title 24 is the overall building code for the state and Cal Green Code is one section of Title 24? IF so, wouldn’t all changes in CalGreen be encompassed within Title 24?

A: You’re right – Title 24 is the governing standard. CalGreen is the building code adopted by the California Department of General Services (DGS), which manages all the state’s buildings among other things. The Building Standards Commission within the DGS chairs the CalGreen council, which advises other state agencies. This is probably the connection to Title 24 – I expect that the Building Standards Commission (CalGreen) provided significant input to the CEC on the 2013 Title 24 Code.

Relevant Links:
http://www.bsc.ca.gov/abt_bsc/cac.aspx http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/PIO/QuickReferenceGuide.pdf

So, let’s follow Title 24, and if CalGreen crawls out from under the pile, we can evaluate whether to act on it within the Title 24 context. It may be that CalGreen has something specific to say about Prop 39, but I haven’t been able to find it.

Q: Are we able to take indirect costs on the augmented funds? Our workplan activities call for the program improvement funds to be used to implement the program improvement plans that the college's create. So I'm assuming the workplan can be resubmitted as is. Does that sound right?

A: Augmented funds are for program improvement and you cannot take indirect costs on funds outside of the initial $350,000 for the fiscal agent grant portion?

Q: Regarding department certificates in the 6-18 unit range that have not been through the Chancellor's Office process, would/could these certificates be included?

A: No but we encourage you to use the program improvement funds to help defray any costs associated with finalizing approval at the CCCCO.

Q: Moorpark College would like to have the attached programs considered for Program Improvement Funding eligibility. I think the ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNICIAN Proficiency Award in Photovoltaic Technology program is an easy one since it is training for both commercial and residential installation.

The other Environmental Science and Environmental Technology degrees and certificates are intriguing since they all have a required Energy Resources and Conservation course. Please take a look and let me know what to tell them.

A: In looking at this, I’m good with the Environmental Technician being included.

Q: Given the downtime with CalJOBs and continuing uncertainty, what is the current requirement for CalJOBs registration?

A: The requirement for completers to be entered into CalJOBs has been waived as a condition for Program Improvement Funds. However, CalJOBs registration offers significant benefits to the college downstream – tracking of employment and wage progression for example – and colleges should apply their best efforts to get completers registered by June 30. Some of the Regional Project Directors reported that Career Café is an easy tool for registration and automatically provides CalJOBs tracking.

Q: What is the schedule for implementing the Program Improvement Funds portion of the RFA?

A: See the schedule on the Application for Program Improvement Funds page on this site.

Q: With the Prop 39 funds, could we use it to give students some monetary support for completing the certificate/degree?

A: No, this would not be allowable use of the funds.

Q: If the EPA 608 credential for HVAC is approved for the Prop 39 program improvement funding. Would it be appropriate to put it on the list.

A: Looking at the EPA 608 manual, it appears that Type II and Type III certs would be eligible as they seem to apply for commercial applications. Types I (small appliance) and MVAC (motor vehicle AC) would not be eligible for Prop 39 Program Improvement Funds. Completers having Universal, which consists of core type 1, type 2 and type 3 can be counted as 608ers at COD.

Q: We have the program improvement funds in Accounting Category 5000. Will colleges have to split charges across accounts when they use Program Improvement Funds? If so, have we determined if that will need to be rolled up by the Project Director / Fiscal Agent. If so, have we figured out how that data will be collected. How detailed will the account level fiscal reporting be and who gathers that?

A: I’d like them to use the regular budget detail page and itemize at a somewhat specific level, at least in terms of the category and amount, rather than just taking the funds from your 5000 and not itemizing them.

Q: Are scholarships an allowable expense of the funds?

A: Scholarships are not allowable.

Q: Some colleges are getting as little as $2K in awards. Would outreach and recruitment for energy efficiency courses be an allowable expense of the funds?

A: If a college intends to sustain a program and expand it in the future, $2K would be considered an allowable expense. There will be a limit placed on outreach and marketing ($10K) specific to increasing enrollment in eligible courses by 20%.

Q: Are colleges developing MOUs with their training trusts?

A: Yes, Rio Hondo is either changing their current MOU or creating another agreement so all parties are clear on what is happening.

Q: The application doesn't indicate a mechanism for distributing all or any portion of the funding to the actual qualifying apprenticeship program; it only states the funds will be distributed to the College – our trust is asking for details on distribution. Also, is there guidance on the amount that colleges are keeping for administrative fees?

A: Generally it is the same percentage as in their regular apprenticeship MOU.

Q: Are there parameters/restrictions on whether the training trust purchases equipment related to the project and is reimbursed by the college versus the college purchasing the equipment directly?

A: It is preferred that the college purchase the equipment if at all possible so that ownership is clear (funds only go to colleges). We can provide a letter to apprenticeship programs (request through Contact page) clarifying that these equipment purchases are to support college students who are apprentices, and while the equipment is at an offsite location ownership is retained by the college, per Perkins guidelines. Perkins specifies a 5 year depreciable life, so after 5 years the college should be able to leave the equipment in place without issues.