What's New on the Site
- So Cal Edison, HVACRedu.net, and the CA Community Colleges are offering a free ASHRAE 180 training event to educators at the SCE Energy Education Center, Dec 17 & 18 - read more.
- The PG&E Pacific Energy Center is holding two training days on October 19 & 25: Case Studies in Advanced Lighting Controls: Learning from Exemplary Project; and Lighting Controls: How Occupant Behavior Impacts Building Energy Performance and ZNE. Register through the PEC web site.
- Friday June 1, the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Program at Mt. San Antonio College conducted its 10th Annual Student Exhibition and Open House. Program graduates met with potential employers to demonstrate practical projects in Mt. SAC's mechanical, electrical, and building automation labs.
- The 2018 HVAC Educators and Trainers Conference was held March 28 & 29 at the South Point Hotel in Las Vegas, NV.
- The Rebuild Green Expo was held February 23, 10am-7pm, at the Santa Rosa Veterans Hall. After last year's fires, rebuild the North Bay sustainably and green. DSN Bruce Greenstein will be presenting and moderating a panel discussion.
- The BEST Center 2018 Annual Institute for Faculty of Building Automation & Performance Programs at Laney College was held January 3-6, 2018.
- The North/Far North Region Building & Energy Training Collaborative held its kick-off meeting on January 9, 2018 at Cosumnes River College.
ECU In The News
- Automation may be threatening some jobs, but education is creating new ones according to this PBS News Hour story.
- More than half of US organizations plan to increase their energy efficiency spending over the next 12 months, according to a recent survey conducted by Johnson Controls. Download the full report here.
- PG&E has received approval to procure 567.5 MegaWatts of storage yielding 2,720 MWh of capacity, more than 4 times the capacity of any existing installation. Read the press release from Energy Storage North America (ESNA).
- Navigant Research forecasts revenue for the commercial, energy efficient HVAC technologies market to grow from $29.4 billion in 2018 to $61.2 billion in 2027, owing to current regulation supporting commercial building owners to adopt smart controls, enabling intelligent management and building operations.
- The Honda Distribution Center in Torrance has commissioned North America's largest microgrid installation, with a 2 MW solar array backed up by 546 kWh in storage - read more here.
- This McKinsey report has a wealth of information on the impact that technology will have on work, including automation, energy efficiency, renewable energy, predicting the creation of 10 million jobs globally from new energy technologies. Read the full report.
- Educators around the state met at the California Independent System Operator in Folsom, CA for a 2-day symposium on Integrated Distributed Energy Resources and the impact they're having on the grid, the climate, and the workforce. Read this article from CAEconomy.org.
- The Construction sector is hot! High paying jobs abound, and the Community Colleges are poised to get you the training you need for a great career. Read this article from NPREd.
- California is helping low income women train for construction jobs - read the CNN Money article.
- Check out this article on High Performance Building Operators at AutomatedBuildings.com.
- The Lighting Controls Association (LCA) has partnered with the California Community Colleges to provide LCA's Education Express online training programs - read the announcement.
- Over 1.9 million jobs in America are focused on Energy Efficiency, with 13% job growth. California is the biggest market for Energy Efficiency Workers, at over 320,000 jobs. Read E2.ORG's study.
- Read the CEC's study exploring barriers to and opportunities for expanding low-income customers’ access to energy efficiency, weatherization, and renewable energy investments.
- NPR reports that San Francisco has begun requiring rooftop solar on new commercial buildings beginning January, 2017.
- Why energy for industry matters: Read this release from Siemens.
- This report says that California has the 4th lowest per capita energy consumption in the country.
- Read this report on Prop 39 from CA Senate President Pro Tem Kevin De León.
- The Department of Energy is refining the definition of Zero Net Energy Buildings to gain consistency across the industry.
- The CA Economic Summit has taken notice of our HVAC Employers Collaborative.
- Just how many jobs does energy efficiency create? Read this BLOG POST from the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE). The Answer is encouraging!
- In the past 6 years, the Advanced Energy Industry has grown 28% across the US, now supporting 3 million jobs. Read this jobs report from the Advanced Energy Economy Institute for 2017.